Monday, April 23, 2012

Singin' and Dancin'

This is a little late, but last October I participated in my junior high school's annual band/choir performance. With three other teachers and 4 third-year students, I performed the song Maru Maru Mori Mori, which gained fame last summer as the end song to a drama called Marumo no Okite.  The drama is  about a man who has suddenly has to raise his niece and nephew (I've never seen it). The end song features these kids (around 7 years old) doing this cute song and dance. They became hugely famous and were on talk shows everyday. This is the original Maru Maru Mori Mori .

I practiced endlessly to learn the words and the dance. I practiced the dance every night before bed and would listen exclusively to this song when I went running. It took a week or two, and I think my friends got pretty sick of the song since I would be practicing it constantly. In the end, I knew the words better than the Japanese teachers and I had 97% of the dance down. As for the costume, first-grade elementary students always were these bright yelllow hats, and all elementary students use the leather backpacks, randoseru, and my cheeks are rosy. I uploaded the video, but I password protected it because it has my students in it. The password is just my name.


Maru Maru Mori Mori from drizz on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment