Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My experience with a Japanese cult... probably

Today, after feeding the fish in Omura park some moldy bread, my friend and I were just sitting on a bench chewing the fat. Two elderly women were walking down the path and like many, they said hello and we returned the greeting, expecting them to keep on walking. However, they approached us and started asking us if we had any aches or pains, anything we wanted cured- for free. They had the ability to heal us without even touching us.

Really, just wanting to get rid of them, but partly dumfounded at how odd this encounter was, my friend gave in. The ladies had him stretch his neck, back and shoulders, just to check his health. One lady went on with the healing process- with her hands hoovering about 5 inches from his body, she moved them from head to toe, with a swoosh at the end, apparently that was the part where the bad things get thrown out. She said something about right, left and middle and she was convinced something was wrong with the left side of his abdomen. Of course. This went on for about a minute.

Next was my turn, they set out to heal my foot pain. I got both ladies working on me, one taking care of my body and the other focusing on my foot- clawing at, and pulling out the pain. They said some incantations and something about "vital force." After 5+ minutes, I was hungry, bored and ready for these crazy ladies to leave. We flattered them and told them there was some improvement, but I will definitely not be calling on them ever again. They gave us some old newspapers from their organization and asked us to join them. The organization is called "Seimei no Sayo."

After some research my friend found some information on them:
"For their involvement in soliciting "treatment fees" for the "Association for Maintaining Health: Taido," (Now known as the Hoju-shu Hoju-kai), which employed "hand power" techniques to cure illnesses, the Fukuoka High Court ordered CEO Toshihisa Hiraki, former executive members, and affiliated companies to pay 34.6 million yen in damages to former members and their families. The High Court also dismissed the defendant's appeal. Furthermore, on October 31, a verdict was passed on a similar appeal filed against a lawsuit by former members from Fukuoka prefecture. The Fukuoka High Court ordered Taido to pay 65 million yen in damages and upheld the original verdict."

http://www.rirc.or.jp/english/articles_21.html

It was a strange, but memorable evening in the park.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting post. My wife turns out to be a member of this "cult". She told me about it when we first met but it wasn't until after we were married that I realized the extent to which it dominates the lives of those in it. They are continually brainwashed about needing to "practice" their "healing arts". Conveniently, learning how to use the "healing arts" costs, you guessed it, thousands of dollars. They seem mostly harmless until you realize they are basically fleecing their members to the profit of, I'm sure, the higher ups there. "Healing arts" indeed--they make your wallet lighter and line their own pockets at the same time! I'm still not sure what I'm going to personally do about it.

    I am currently searching for more evidence of corruption in their organization, but my wife is so far gone that I'm not sure anything would convince her of their corruption.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. This happened to me as well. I feel I have lost my wife as well. Not sure if you will ever read this nor sure if there is a way to talk but I am saddened by what has happened to my family and losing my wife to such a cult. Tens of thousands of dollars spent chasing "levels" of an imaginary art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone. This Seimei thing seems to completely dominate their minds. She's totally normal and then something stresses her out and then it's seimei seimei seimei. Now she's begging me to go get "activated". Begging me to spend seven thousand dollars, go sit in front of a golden statue of Hiraki Toshihisa and read a set of Japanese prayers so that I can "use seimei". All things that I've expressed in no uncertain terms that I don't want to do.

    She literally cares more about this Seimei stuff than she does about our marriage and lives. It's incredibly hurtful to hear her say that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm someone just approached me regarding this. he seems so sincere and passionate about how it helps him to keep helping others....has offered to work with me for free out of empathy because there was a time when he couldn't walk on his own because of pain. Said once i experience it and get healing I will absolutely want to pursue the training so I can continue to heal &improve. my first thought multi level marketing cult! After reading this I know my gut is telling me the right thing!!

    ReplyDelete