- My friends- I've made some great friends here and even though sometimes there are communication problems, they're really fun and my stay in Japan exponentially better.
- My host family- they've become like actual family to me and I will miss them like family.
- cheap karaoke
- sitting on the train learning new kanji from the advertisements
- neon lights
- the conbini- for it's 24 hour service of delicious food, especially the inari, milk tea, lemon water, "turds", a large variety of bread products and candy. Thank you conbini for feeding me cheaply for the past 5 months.
- cell phone charms- everyone from the youngest kids to the oldest men, if they have a cell phone, it most certainly will have a charm. A cute one at that.
- The clear plastic brief cases carried by college students.
- the size of novels, they're all small,thus easy to read on the train with one hand.
- animated emiticons/other images used in cell phone mail
- the unexplained joy I feel when the trains come to both sides of the platform at the same time
- the music signaling closing doors on the Fukutoshin line, and the voice of the anouncer.
- the train system in general.
- old people smiling when they see me playing kendama
- Japanese kids
- sakura flavored food
- vending machines everywhere
- the signature sound of Kirin
- Japanese tv (including commercials)
- Foods: okonomiyaki, takoyaki, ohm rice, tendon, nikuman, curry (indian and japanese), yakisoba, my host mom's cooking, katsudon, spicy cucumbers
- feeling safe all the time
- Kichijoji and the bands that play there
- Yamanote line
- Kasumi and my favorite restaraunts there
- Modern Design Tees
- not understanding mostly everything around me, but trying to figure it out
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Things I will miss...
I've lived here for five months, so of course I've taken a liking to some things and will miss them when I return to the Land of the Free. There are, of course, more things than I am able to list here and if I were to name them all you would probably die of dehydration before I could finish. Anyway, in no particular order:
at 1:58 AM